USCIS Set New Interview Policy for Marriages Involving a Minor

Generally a couples seeking immigration benefits based on an I-130 spousal petition will be interviewed by USCIS during the adjustment of status process (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) or the Immigrant Visa process with the U.S. Department of State. Because of the vulnerabilities associated with marriages involving minors, this practice is being modified. The USCIS will now interview couples involving a minor spouse by interviewing the petitioner and/or the beneficiary earlier in the immigration process. Thus effective immediately, USCIS will interview as part of the adjudication of the Form I-130 petition:
• Any Form I-130 spousal petition where the petitioner or the beneficiary is less than 16 years old; and
• Any Form I-130 spousal petition where the petitioner or the beneficiary is at least 16 or 17 years of age and there are 10 years or more difference between the ages of the spouses.

The Immigration Official will take into consideration the following factors:
1. the legality of the marriage in the place it was celebrated
2. the validity of the marriage in the couple’|s current or presumed state of residence,
3. public policy considerations, and
4. the bona fides of the spousal relationship for immigration purposes.

Source: Policy Alert (AFM), Marriage Involving Minors Update, April 12, 2019 (AFM PA-2019-02)

Temporary Protected Status for Nationals of Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services issued the following announcement:

Tuesday, August 18, 2015, is the deadline for eligible nationals of Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone (and people without nationality who last habitually resided in one of those three countries) to register for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). This deadline marks the end of DHS’ 90-day extension of the initial registration period. The TPS designations for these three countries run from Nov. 21, 2014, through May 21, 2016.

To be eligible for TPS, you must demonstrate that you meet all eligibility criteria, including that you have been “continuously residing” in the United States since Nov. 20, 2014, and “continuously physically present in” the United States since Nov. 21, 2014. You must also undergo thorough security checks. Individuals with certain criminal records or who pose a threat to national security are not eligible for TPS.
Additionally, you may apply for TPS even if you are a Liberian national currently covered under the two-year extension of Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) based on President Obama’s Sept. 26, 2014 memorandum. If you are a DED-covered Liberian national and you have an EAD or have applied for an EAD, you do not need to apply for another EAD related to this TPS designation. However, if you are granted TPS, you may request a TPS-related EAD at a later date as long as the TPS designation for Liberia remains in effect.
To register, you must submit:
• Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status.
• The biometrics services fee (or a fee-waiver request) if you are 14 years old or older.
• Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, regardless of whether you want an EAD.
• The Form I-765 application fee or a fee-waiver request, but only if you want an EAD. If you do not want an EAD, no application fee is required. There is no I-765 fee for initial applicants under the age of 14, or 66 and over; these applicants may receive their initial EAD cards for free.
Fees and Fee Waivers
If you cannot pay the fee, you may request that we waive the Form I-765 application fee or biometrics fee. However, you must file Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, or submit a written request. You must also send in supporting documentation with your fee-waiver request. We will reject your TPS application if you do not submit the required filing fees or a properly documented fee-waiver request.
Additional information about TPS for Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone —including guidance on eligibility, the application process and where to file—is available at
This Web alert is also available in French.
Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,